Sunday, August 26, 2012

back from vacation - 2 weeks with harmony braces

well, I survived my week in Puerto Rico, and my second week with braces! I'm still recovering from the busy week but wanted to post an update. All in all going on vacation with braces this new was not fun. I was very limited in what I could eat, and even what I did eat was slow and frustrating. The worst part though, is that on day 2 of the vacation, one of my brackets came off!!! Of course it was on a molar, at the very back, so it was just flopping around and I was terrified of losing it. I couldn't eat anymore at that point (and had taken all of 2 bites of my pasta when it came off) so that was extremely frustrating. Also because it was at the back the wire was cutting the heck out of my mouth. I wasted an entire day of my vacation finding a dentist in PR who could reattach it (I was looking even for someone to cut it off so I could eat again and take it back with me for Dr. Cliff to reapply). Luckily I found an American who was able to reattach it, but it cost me $100 out of my limited vacation fund, which was another bummer. I can also tell that at least one more if not 2 or 3 brackets (all molars) are also loose, so I'm praying that they stay put until my appointment tomorrow afternoon, because I do NOT want to go through that again. So all in all I would definitely not recommend going on vacation within the first month of getting lingual braces. On a happier note I seem to be able to eat more real foods now, like pasta and scrambled eggs, without pain. But it's still almost impossible to bite into anything with my front teeth, and the wires are still hurting my tongue a lot. And one weird thing I've noticed - it seems like when I sleep my braces are crushing my tongue, so my mouth is really sore every morning. I've tried applying wax right before bed but it only helps a little. That's it for now, back to work tomorrow and I'll keep you updated on my progress :)

10 comments:

  1. Nice stuff. I have been following your blog! Im planning to get some too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome - good for you! Are you getting linguals too? I know braces are going to be annoying no matter what but I do love that no one can see them lol - best of luck, keep me posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi laura! thank you very much for your blog and the youtube videos, which convinced me to also get harmony braces. tomorrow is my big day, where my dentist puts the upper side of the lingual braces on. i´m a little bit nervous but hopefully everything will be allright. wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Christine, I'm very glad it's helping you and congrats on getting your Harmony braces tomorrow! I wish you the best and remember the first couple days are the worst, make sure you stock up on soup and soft foods as well as Ibuprofen lol and I promise it will get better! Let me know how it goes

      Delete
    2. hi laura! today I got my harmony braces on the upper side (on the lower side I will not get harmony braces, but normal ones with white brackets in a week). so far, i don´t have any problems or toothache, except that it is a little bit strange to have metal in my mouth, my tongue will hopefully get used to the braces soon - talking is a little bit difficult, but my dentist informed me to practice talking half an hour each day in order to get used to it. eating is also a little bit irritating, but i hope that this will get a normal thing in a few weeks. i hope that there will be no toothache the next few days. i will keep you updated. unfortunately, ghooshy goo is not available in europe :( furthermore brushing my teeth is really difficult, but i hope that this will also get better each day, i need at least half an hour for the braces. my dentist told me to brush my teeth after each meal, could get a serious problem, as i don´t have the possibility/time to do that during my job :(

      Delete
    3. p.s.: i will have my braces for approx 30 months, so there should be plenty of time to get used to them ;)

      Delete
  5. Hi laura! Just wanted to ask you if you ever got used to eating. I have real problems when food gets stuck between my braces. It feels sooo disgusting and i need to use my interdental kit immediately. Thus i barerly eat anything over the day. Right now i' m really frustrated and would love to get my braces off, even though it cost a fortune :-( furthermore i'm not quite sure how to handle business lunches without going to the bathroom all the time. I really hope that it gets better. Any advice on this topic would be very appreciated. Thank you very much for youtube videos and blogs, it really helped me a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi christine, it definitely gets better - you've only had them a few days lol
      For business lunches I was just careful about what I ordered - pasta is usually the best bet, or something like fish and rice that falls apart easily abd doesn't get stuck. Or soup if its a lunch is perfect! I find meats are very stringy so avoid then, and salad because the greens wrap around the braces. Hang in there though, in 2 weeks you'll feel like a pro already ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi christine, it definitely gets better - you've only had them a few days lol
      For business lunches I was just careful about what I ordered - pasta is usually the best bet, or something like fish and rice that falls apart easily abd doesn't get stuck. Or soup if its a lunch is perfect! I find meats are very stringy so avoid then, and salad because the greens wrap around the braces. Hang in there though, in 2 weeks you'll feel like a pro already ;)

      Delete