Thursday, May 31, 2012

What do you mean I need braces???

I am 31 years old, and have never had braces. After years of hating my teeth, and finding that they are getting worse as I get older (or I'm just noticing more) I was looking for a solution. After my dentist told me he could fix my front tooth (the crooked one that really bothers me) with a root canal and crown, I wanted to be sure by getting a second opinion. In fact I figured, while I'm at it why don't I get some veneers and have a nice white smile! So the second opinion was from a cosmetic dentist, referred to me by a good friend. He was very honest and told me that while he could do crowns and veneers, it would mean ruining a perfectly good tooth, doing an unnecessary root canal, and I wouldn't be happy in the long run because the crowns would fail, and the rest of my teeth would still be crooked, including my overjet and overbite. He was brutally honest, and said what I needed was braces. WHAT??? I was not expecting this, and to say the least I was not happy about his announcement. I fought and argued and asked a million questions about non-braces options. He was firm that I wouldn't be happy with anything he could do, that I really should consider braces and that there were lots of options on the market now that were less noticeable, and more suited for adults. Urgh, ya right, this is not what I want to hear. But like I usually do, I thought it over (and over and over), and did some research. Turns out he was right, there are all kinds of braces out there now, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment